Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hello, my name is Mandy and I am an Addict.

Yes. It’s true. I have become an addict. I am beyond mortified. I am afraid to to tell my family. I can just imagine their displeased looks and frowns of disappointment.

It all happened so quickly. One minute I was fine. I had heard of this drug but had never felt any interest to try it. I look back now and see how I could have resisted. It would have been so easy then. Now, I hang my head in shame.

Hello, my name is Mandy and I am a Twitter Addict.

Stop laughing! I’m serious.

I can’t stop myself. I have it pulled up on my computer at the same time I have it pulled up on my phone. Constantly, I hit the refresh button in case I missed a new tweet. My gut churns and my palms get sweaty. I can’t think, I can’t breathe I can only Twitter.

I constantly check my followers. There’s a little side bar that tells me exactly how many I have. I know there are only 8 of them but I open it up anyway just to see if there was a glitch in the program and the number didn’t update if somehow, someway I was followed by a new person.

Of my 8 followers, 3 of them are spammers. I can’t delete them though. They are MINE. My followers.

I feel like Gollum crying out for “my precious, my precious”.


I have begun my road to recovery. I only tweet from my phone and allow myself 2 follower checks per day. I only refresh if I have been away for longer than 5 minutes.

It is my hope that I can soon go a whole day without checking my followers. I hope that I can leave the window closed and only open it when I have something to tweet.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment